Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The Adventuress

Lady Emily's childhood friend Jeremy, Duke of Bambridge, has spent Tasha Alexander's novels making himself the most useless man in England and avoiding marriage.  At the start of The Adventuress, we learn that he's failing at one of his goals.  Jeremy, Emily and Colin, Cecile, and Meg are in Cannes to celebrate Jeremy's engagement to the daughter of an American millionaire.  Amity Wells is a bit unpolished compared to Jeremy and his friends (although not when compared to her social climbing mother - the mother and daughter reminded me of To Marry an English Lord), but her enthusiasm grew not only on me but on Emily.

Emily can't help but encounter dead bodies, and in this case, it's one of Jeremy's Oxford friends.  Even worse, the poisoned whiskey was intended for Jeremy - but who would want to kill the cheerfully useless young Duke?  I thought I figured it out early on, and then changed my mind, only to change it again about 5 pages before Emily discovered the murder's identity.  Normally, that's an ideal mystery - fooled twice, but solved.  However, the murder's motive was a bit off in my mind.  I followed the logic but it just felt wrong.  I'd still enjoyed the book, because I love Lady Emily, and I was thrilled to see Margaret again.

No comments:

Post a Comment