Sunday, February 24, 2019

The ABC Murders

I looked back at some of my earlier Agatha Christie reviews, and several mention books that have stayed on my shelf for 30 years. It's now closer to 40 for some of them, like The ABC Murders. It's got a stamp from The Book Swap, which closed before I graduated from high school, and above the stamp there's the name of the original owner and "November 1st, 1977." I wonder what I would have thought of it as a teenager? Although written only about 20 years into Hercule Poirot's 50 year career, he's showing his age, admitting to Hastings that he dyes his hair and being dismissed by the young policeman assigned to help him.

Someone killed Mrs. Asher in her Andover candy shop and left an ABC guide on the counter. Poirot got involved because someone sent him a letter announcing the murder. Soon, another announced murder happens, of Betty Bernard in Bexhill-on-Sea. Eventually Sir Carmichael Clarke's body is found in Churston, and the murder taunts Poirot with the threat of another death soon, in Dorchester. It's a classic Christie, with red herrings and obvious suspects, but there's also a slightly melancholy hint. Poirot was never a young character, but both he and Hastings are aging and there's a sense of the world changing. 35 years ago, I would have only seen the well crafted puzzle.  Now, I see the emotional shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment