Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Sanctuary Murders

 I think Susannah Gregory is winding down her Matthew Bartholomew series. I'm going to miss it, particularly since my re-reading has showed me how the characters have evolved. The Sanctuary Murders isn't one of my favorite installments, though. I don't know if it was the book or if my 2020-induced stress made it harder to concentrate, but I just couldn't get into it (and have stalled on writing this review). Missing his fiancee Matilda (who's on a wedding-clothes buying trip with his sister Edith), Matthew Bartholomew finds himself tasked with solving mysterious deaths at a nearby hospital. The hospital isn't what it appears to be, and neither are the victims or the rest of the inmates. Complicated by more intense than usual town-versus-gown tensions and Brother Michael's new job as the University Chancellor, the crime felt like there were too many suspects and motives and none of them particularly likely. Add in feuding nuns visiting Cambridge for a conclave and I felt that there was too much distraction and not enough entertainment. Or maybe I was just overwhelmed by 2020 and when I get around to re-reading this one (in 10-25 years), I'll appreciate it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment