Friday, September 3, 2021

The Tintern Treasure

 There's only one more book in Kate Sedley's Roger the Chapman series, and as The Tintern Treasure unfolds, we get an uneasy feeling about Roger's sometime employer, Richard III. There's an undercurrent of gossip about the missing Princes, and Roger hears much of it because the people of Bristol believe his connection with Richard is stronger than it is. Roger is too busy trying to earn a living when he spends the night at Tintern Abbey to care much about political intrigue. Through an attempted robbery of the abbey's rumored treasure and Roger's attempts to contact the father of a dying former fling's baby boy, he once again ends up in the middle of political intrigue, only this time in endangers his family as well. As I read, I thought there were too many plot lines for a coherent mystery but Sedley left a clue here, a casual comment there so that they all converged in an exciting final chapter. I'll miss Roger when I read his final adventure - I've known him for over 25 of my years and about 10 of his - but I can always go back to the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment