Sunday, January 23, 2022

Blood on the Strand

 Years ago I was in an online discussion of book series. I like reading in order, and if at all possible start with book #1. Someone else said she usually starts with the third book because by then the author has a good idea of where they want to go. Maybe Susanna Gregory's third Thomas Chaloner book will grab me in a way the first two didn't. Blood on the Strand starts out with a man being murdered as he walks home from a dinner meeting, but the complex plot ties in stolen cadavers, double-crossing fellow agents, public autopsies, and shifting personal alliances. Maybe it's because I read it in small snatches, but I never felt attached to the characters or overly concerned about their fates. With Susanna Gregory ending her Matthew Bartholomew series, I'd hoped that the Chaloner books would replace them. I have one more so I haven't given up yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment