Tuesday, February 1, 2022

If Walls Could Talk: An Intimate History of the Home

If Walls Could Talk is ostensibly the book of the series, and I expected it to be essentially the script to Lucy Worsley's TV series of the same name. Instead, Worsley uses the framework of the show to peek into the lives of ordinary people. The bedroom isn't just for sleep but also for sex (and childbirth, breastfeeding, and STDs), praying, and death. The bathroom leads to discussions of hygiene in general, plus makeup and plumbing. The living room is where we relax but also have to deal with housework (and formerly servants). Finally, the kitchen gives her a reason to discuss food fads and alcohol, as well as the political implications of menu choices. If I weren't working from home, this would be the perfect commute book - interesting but in short bites so I wouldn't get so engrossed I risk missing my stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment