Monday, February 19, 2024

Prequel: An American Fight Against Facism

A few months ago, I was in an online political discussion. Someone brought up how unified we were during WWII to which I said, "Except for those who used the black market, turned in neighbors, attacked those who didn't support the war..." It didn't go over well. I wonder whether that person has read Prequel? Based on Rachel Maddow's podcast Ultra, Prequel dives into the isolationist fascist movement of the 1930s which culminated in two failed trials. It's an important topic, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about the book. The first 2/3 introduced characters and threads which didn't completely come together in the trial-based final portion. Maddow has an engaging style, but Prequel didn't engage me as well as Bag Man did. Maybe the podcast was better.

No comments:

Post a Comment